Friday, June 29, 2012

Farmers' Markets Around Town

I look with anticipation each year as spring rolls around and farmers' markets appear. I do like the various winter markets around town but let's face it, Indiana is not in a subtropical/tropical zone. It has little to show in winter. In warm times, I have been a patron of the Broad Ripple farmer's market, behind the high school, for years. Unfortunately, my favorite vendors there, Neighbor's Garden and Seldom Seen Farms have disappeared due to unfortunate circumstances Actually Seldom Seen has merged with another vendor as part of FarmIndy, though I see much less of its pieces of art. They had radishes, greens, and cilantro that were breathtaking.. Broad Ripple features many wonderful vendors including Homestead Growers and Trader's Point Creamery. Trader's Point always pleases with its award-winning yogurts and cheeses. I like this particular market also because it showcases lots of produce and allows dogs. I love dog and people watching here. The crowds are manageable as well. This brings me to Carmel Farmer's market that recently has moved from a park-like setting to a concrete slab by the Palladium. Something is very wrong when one has to park in a parking garage and ride the elevator down to an outdoor market in a small - yes small town. The vendors tend to be wanna-be restaurants although there are a few bonafied produce vendors. The crowds are overwhelming especially if you arrive after nine. These problems, crowds and few produce vendors are also problems for the Zionsville market. The other markets I have ventured to around town are just too small. And did I mention no dogs at the Carmel market? Have a heart! I long for those piles of miraculous vegetables seen so readily in European outdoor markets where people and dogs leisurely roam with room to move.. Markets there are not a cultural trend but a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment